Attending:

  • Patrick Lamphere
  • Cody Hemenway
  • Joanne Crawford
  • Anna Roy
  • Fred Wiseman
  • Nikki White
  • Louise Lamphere
  • Arthur Blackhawk
  • Aaron Desrochers
  • Charlie Delaney
  • Kerry
  • Morgan
    • Guests: Holly LaFrance, Chris LaFrance, Amanda Gokee and Arlene Gokee, Mia Leonard

Nikki read a teaching prayer holding the knowledge staff.

  • June Meeting Minutes:
    • Charlie moved to approve the June minutes
      • Kerry seconded. ôhô
  • Business Meeting:
    • Review of new member applications
    • Four new members were reviewed and all were approved.
  • Public Relations
    • The PR team needs to set up guidelines for posting on Facebook.
    • All Council members would like to be able to post on Facebook.
    • The PR Team will set up all Council members.
    • The Council members will need to follow the Social Media Guidelines.
    • The PR Team will need to review all postings before publishing.
    • Charlie made the motion to look for someone to help with the website and consider possibly outsourcing the work.
    • Fred made a motion to add Joanne to the PR Team
      • Anna seconded. ôhô
    • Deb from Moccasin Tracks asked Cody if he would speak with her about Alnôbaiwi for her show. The Council was OK with Cody talking to her.
    • We need to establish a set of talking points for interviews.
    • We need to prepare press releases for our upcoming events.
    • We need to establish an Alnôbaiwi table for events.
  • Finance Update
    • Charlie has no current expenses for approval.
    • $115 donations were excepted for solstice event in June – it has been deposited into the Alnôbaiwi account.
    • We have received payment from NOFA for the February event and it has been deposited into the Alnôbaiwi account.
    • We currently have $3,192.84 in the Alnôbaiwi account.
    • State of VT has not yet paid for the creation of the wampum belt that was made for Abenaki Recognition and Culture Week.
    • Fred will follow up with David Schutz at the State House.
  • Inventory Update
    • Many regalia items are missing from the cabinet at Ethan Allen Homestead.
    • Joanne will send an email to everyone to let me know that they should return all materials borrowed from the cabinet at EAHS.
    • We will now ask that everyone returns their regalia after every event.
  • Alnôbaiwi Logo
    • Kerry made a motion to approve the logo
      • Charlie seconded it.
    • Kerry asked someone to make an Alnôbaiwi banner using the logo.
    • Joanne will have the banner made.
    • The banner should be 5 feet long to be put on a table.
  • August Council Meeting
    • Not many people will be available, so there won’t be an August meeting.
    • Joanne will send out an email and ask if anyone will come for a work day at EAHS.
    • Lunch at 12:13
  • Programming Meeting
    • Cultural Competency
      • Fred has been working with someone from Passamaquoddy Health Service to establish a program.
    • Establish a committee
      • Committee: Fred (Chair), Joanne, Morgan, Kerry, Andrea, Charlie
      • Andrea will bring this to the Racial Equity board.
  • Committee Chair Updates
    • Living History
      • The Shooting Fire Ceremony was a great success and was very well attended.
      • Wigwam has been started.
      • Cody and Pat will be picking up the cedar poles tomorrow.
      • The black locust would not work for the wigwam but they will be used as a medicine/knowledge pole.
      • Fred and Anna have finished the coverings for the wigwam.
      • Fred will make a list of resources available to members to purchase period and traditional materials/regalia.
      • Purchase basic kit for new members (male, female and child) of the Living History committee. $500 was agreed upon.
      • Purchase patterns and keep them in our library so anyone can use them. We will add them to the inventory.
      • Nikki will take home the coffee bean bags and sew them for the floor of the wigwam.
      • Shade lean-to will also be put up eventually.
      • We will build a camp fire and an indigenous kitchen.
      • The bean hole has been started and we have made arrangements to finish it.
      • We have a contact for stone for the hole.
      • During the Programming portion of the September Alnôbaiwi meeting we will hold a Green Corn Ceremony, cook beans, have living history event, and cook a turkey outside.
    • VT Indigenous Heritage Center
      • Invite Kris Stepenuk from UVM to one of our meetings, so she can see what we are doing.
      • All four chiefs are in support of the center.
      • Need to establish a brand.
      • Do a major fund raiser.
      • Set up a conference.
    • Garden/Environment
      • We have beans, squash, corn, tobacco at the Intervale garden.
      • People are needed to weed.
      • Everything is growing well.
      • We will be planting Jerusalem Artichokes.
    • Heritage garden
      • We need help weeding.
      • Need to work out watering issue.
      • All plants are doing OK.
    • Agro-forest in Georgia – Tim Camisa (VT Organics Reclamation)
      • They have chestnuts, black walnut trees, etc.
      • If any Alnôbaiwi member wants to come up and work on the forest to protect the young trees, they will be paid to work.
      • Field trip to the forest to see what it is and if anyone would be able to help. Fred will contact Tim to arrange.
    • Food
      • There are no updates.
    • Dance/Singing
      • We need to learn the Knife Dance.
      • Need two male drummers and one male dancer (Cody, Morgan and Charlie)
      • We need to learn the Eagle Dance.
      • We need to make the Eagle outfit.
      • We need to practice the Green Corn Dance for the September gathering.
    • Education 
      • The Education committee will work on creating a school program, so Alnôbaiwi can visit schools and give presentations.
    • Harvest Dinner
    • We will not be doing a large, public harvest dinner this year.
    • During the Programming portion of the October Alnôbaiwi meeting we will do a harvest meal.
  • Indigenous People’s Day
    • We will do a processional in Burlington.
    • The Council decided not to hold a screening of Dawnland.
  • Future Events
    • Possibly have a table at the Church Street event.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *