Attending:

  • Morgan Lamphere
  • Patrick Lamphere
  • Cody Hemenway
  • Eugene Rich
  • Joanne Crawford
  • Anna Roy
  • Fred Wiseman
  • Nikki White
  • Louise Lamphere
  • Arthur Blackhawk
  • Aaron Desrochers

 

  • April Meeting Minutes: 
    • Morgan made a motion to approve the minutes and Eugene seconded. Ôhô
  • Business Meeting:
    • Add a prayer at the beginning of each meeting. Morgan will lead the prayer.
    • Add “Committee Chairs Update” to each Council meeting under the Business section of the meeting.
  • Website
    • Eugene gave an update of the website. Still need to add the following pages: Member’s, Photos/Videos, Events (calendar, past and present events), Contact Us, History, Documentary Information Under the Members Page there will be the minutes, agendas, by-laws, forms, list of council members
    • Joanne will now also have access to add stuff to the website along with Eugene and Shane.
    • Use Youtube for our videos and have link on the website.
    • Alnôbaiwi emails – everyone that wanted an Alnôbaiwi email now has it.
  • Social Media update
    • Chan has set up the Alnôbaiwi Facebook, Instagram and Twitter page.
  • Finance Update:
    • Charlie is willing to stay on the Finance Team as long as there is more help.
    • At the next Alnôbaiwi meeting, ask for more help on the Finance Team. (Aaron Desrochers offered to help the team.)
    • Charlie gave an update of the bank account.
    • We have received our EIN and a verification.
    • We have not been paid by NOFA because they are waiting for the W-9. Joanne now has the W-9, signed by Charlie and she will get it to NOFA.
    • We have not received payment from the State. Joanne will contact David Schutz.
    • Dan has deposited the donations and will get a check to the Finance Team.
    • 990 N form due in October.
    • The Alnôbaiwi Expense Form was passed around. This is used for requesting funds or requesting reimbursement.
    • For the Passamaquoddy trip people can request a predetermined amount reimbursed for gas and lodging.
  • Alnôbaiwi By-laws:
    • The group read through the by-laws and requested a few small changes.
    • Charlie moved to approve the suggested changes to the by-laws and
      • Eugene seconded. Ôhô
    • Pat made a motion to pass the by-laws with the changes and
      • Charlie seconded. Ôhô
  • Fred’s ownership and insurance of materials in the Indigenous Exhibit:
    • Materials in the museum will be on loan for now until the heritage center is solidified and our relationship with the homestead and the heritage center is figured out.
    • Ethan Allen Homestead has insurance to cover any loses from the exhibit.
    • Ask homestead to pay for a camera in the museum. Eugene suggested officially asking EAHS for a security system 
      • Charlie seconded. Ôhô.
    • Joanne will email Dan and ask him to submit a request for a security system for the exhibit to the EAHS Board of Directors’.
  • Public Comment:
    • Arthur asked if Alnôbaiwi will be doing any environmental programming.
    • Recreate the Garden committee to be a Garden and Environment Committee. Fred made the motion to accept the change
      • Charlie seconded. Ôhô.
  • Dawnland Screening:
    • Hold a screening of Dawnland on Indigenous Peoples’ Day.
    • Joanne will go back and find out more info on leasing for educational screenings and what is the cost if we only purchase the screening right.
    • Arthur will do some research on this project as well for larger educational venues.
  • June 20 Event in Swanton:
    • Alnôbaiwi will be there in regalia and do a processional, a social dance, the Four Directions, Fred will do a story of solstice, and Morgan will read the prayer for teachings.
    • The following Alnôbaiwi will be at this event: Eugene, Charlie, Morgan, Aaron with family, Arthur, Joanne, Louise and Pat, Fred, Anna, Kerry.
    • Aaron offered to video tape the event.
  • Solstice event at EAHS:
    • This ceremony will be at noon on June 21. Plans for the event have already been sent out to the group. A fire plan has been filed with the city for safety.
    • Everyone will make tobacco pouches at the event in Swanton, the night before to be burned in the fire on the solstice.
    • Everything can be filmed except the firing of the arrow. We may film the practice shots. We will ask people not to take photos during firing.
  • Harvest Dinner:
    • We will work with the Ethan Allen Homestead to put on a Harvest Dinner.
    • Jesse Lawyer has offered to cook for this dinner. Will be using as much Abenaki crops as possible.
    • Should we do a bean hole? We would need to practice.
    • Cook turkeys outside at the homestead.
    • What equipment to we need to purchase?
    • This will be held on Indigenous People’s Day but it will need to work around Jesse Lawyer’s schedule.
    • Need to create a Harvest Dinner Committee.
    • The committee will meet this summer separately from the regular Alnôbaiwi meetings. Set up dates for meetings.
    • On the committee: Pat, Morgan, Jesse, Cody, Aaron, Joanne
    • Need to choose a Chair of Harvest Dinner Committee – maybe Jesse but his schedule is extremely busy.
    • Sell tickets in order to know how many people will be attending.
  • Heritage Center:
    • Received the results from the Engineering firm regarding the feasibility study on building on the second-floor of Ethan Allen Homestead building. Structurally, the building is stable enough for work on the second floor. Adding the elevator will be the most expensive part of the project.
    • Do we approve” VT Indigenous Heritage Center” as the name? Charlie made the motion
      • Fred seconded to have the name as VT Indigenous Heritage Center and we will ask Jessie Bruchac to translate into Abenaki. Ôhô
    • Heritage Center Committee should be meeting outside of the regular Alnôbaiwi Council meeting to work on center issues. Set up meeting dates and times.
    • Fred will show us the power point that he has prepared for the VT Indigenous Heritage Center project before his presentation to an outside group.
    • Need to get some of this Heritage Center info on the Alnôbaiwi website.
    • Eugene will talk to Fred about what to add.
    • The by-laws of the VT Indigenous Heritage Center will be the same as Alnôbaiwi.
    • Will the VT Indigenous Heritage Center have a separate website or on Alnôbaiwi website? It will be part of the Alnôbaiwi website.
  • Long Range Planning:
    • We have requested a Farmers’ Night at the legislature. We want this to be an inclusive indigenous event. We need to start discussing what we want to do, if we get it.
    • We have the Card Room at the legislature on May 5, 2020. We need to discuss what we want to do for this event. This is for Alnôbaiwi.
  • Future Field Trips:
    • Cairns in Rochester
    • Passamaquoddy
    • Odonak
    • Gonawagie
    • Create a course to help agencies and business understand Abenaki culture.
    • Review of the Proposed Ceremonial Grounds:
    • Walk around the proposed ceremonial grounds.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *